Data Sciences and Operations
Marshall School of Business
University of Southern California
Email: songheek [at] marshall [dot] usc [dot] edu
Office: Bridge Hall 307A, 3670 Trousdale Parkway, Los Angeles, CA 90089
Phone: (213) 821-4189
Hello and welcome to my webpage
My primary research interest is making data-driven decisions within service systems, with an emphasis on healthcare delivery. My goal is to combine empirical/statistical analysis with data-driven modeling to do high impact research.
I am always looking for opportunities for research collaborations with industry partners (e.g., physicians, nurses, hospital administrators). If you have any interesting ideas or problems, please email me.
Here is more details about our Ph.D. program.
1. Maximizing Intervention Effectiveness with Vishal Gupta, Brian Rongqing Han, and Hyung Paek
2. Should Hospitals Keep Their Patients Longer? The Role of Inpatient Care in Reducing Post-Discharge Mortality with Ann Bartel and Carri W. Chan
3. Refining Workload Measure in Hospital Units: From Census to Acuity-Adjusted Census in Intensive Care Units with Edieal Pinker, Joan Rimar and Elizabeth Bradley
Published Research Papers
1. A Data-Driven Model of an Appointment-Generated Arrival Process at an Outpatient Clinic with Ward Whitt and Won Chul Cha
INFORMS Journal on Computing, forthcoming
2. Association Among ICU Congestion, ICU Admission Decision, and Patient Outcomes with Carri W. Chan, Marcelo Olivares and Gabriel Escobar
Critical Care Medicine, 2016
Feature article. Editorial: Using ICU Congestion as a Natural Experiment [Link]
3. The Power of Alternative Kolmogorov-Smirnov Tests Based on Transformations of Data with Ward Whitt
ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation (TOMACS), special issue honoring Professor Donald L. Iglehart, 2015
4. Poisson and Non-Poisson Properties in Appointment-Generated Arrival Processes: the Case of an Endocrinology Clinic with Ward Whitt, Ponni Vel and Won Chul Cha
Operations Research Letters, 2015
5. ICU Admission Control: An Empirical Study of Capacity Allocation and its Implication on Patient Outcomes with Carri W. Chan, Marcelo Olivares and Gabriel Escobar
Management Science, 2015
First Prize: 2013 MSOM Student Paper Competition
Finalist: 2013 INFORMS Pierskalla Award
6. Are Call Center and Hospital Arrivals Well Modeled by Nonhomogeneous Poisson Processes? with Ward Whitt
Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 2014
7. Choosing Arrival Process Models for Service Systems: Tests of a Nonhomogeneous Poisson Process with Ward Whitt
Naval Research Logistics, 2014
8. Using Simulation to Study Statistical Tests for Arrival Processes and Service Time Models for Service Systems with Ward Whitt
Proceedings of the 2013 Winter Simulation Conference, 2013
9. Estimating Waiting Times with the Time-Varying Little’s Law with Ward Whitt
Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, 2013
10. Statistical Analysis with Little’s Law with Ward Whitt
Operations Research, 2013
· Ph.D. in Operations Research, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2014.
o Dissertation: Data-Driven Decisions in Service Systems
o Advisors: Professors Ward Whitt, Carri Chan and Marcelo Olivares
· M.S. in Operations Research, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2009.
· B.S., magna cum laude, in Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2008.
· Korean Minjok Leadership Academy, Republic of Korea, 2005.
Honors and Awards
· M&SOM Best Paper Award (Finalist), 2017
· Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2016
· M&SOM Best Paper Award (Finalist), 2016
· INFORMS Pierskalla Award (Finalist), 2013
· M&SOM Student Paper Competition (First Prize), 2013
· INFORMS Health Applications Society Student Paper Competition (Finalist), 2013
· Samsung Scholarship (full tuition and stipend), 2008-2013
· Deming Doctoral Research Fellowship, The W. Edwards Deming Center at Columbia Business School, 2011
· Accelerated Bachelor’s Degree Completion (3 years) at Cornell University, 2005-2008
· Member of Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
· Member of the Cornell Chapter of Omega Rho (Operations Research & Management Science Honor Society)
· Ad Hoc Reviewer for Journals: Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (M&SOM), Operations Research, Production and Operations Management, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Naval Research Logistics, Annals of Operations Research, Flexible Services and Manufacturing,
· Professional Memberships: The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
- C. S. Lewis
© 2017 Song-Hee Kim Last Update: 12/19/2017