M. Susan Montgomery
M. Susan Montgomery
3620 Vermont Ave, KAP 104
Los Angeles, California 90089-2532
Native of Lansing, Michigan
Married, three stepsons; three nieces, one nephew, five great-nieces
My current research interests concern non-commutative algebras:
in particular, Hopf algebras, their structure and representations,
and their actions on other algebras.
University of Michigan, B.A. (with highest honors) 1965
University of Chicago, S.M. 1966, Ph.D. 1969
DePaul University, Chicago: Assistant Professor 1969-70
University of Southern California:
- Assistant Professor 1970-75
- Associate Professor 1975-82
- Professor 1982-present
- Selected Papers on Algebra (co-chair of editorial
committee), Raymond W. Brink Selected Mathematical Papers, vol 3,
Mathematical Association of America, Washington DC, 1977.
- Fixed Rings of Finite Automorphism Groups of Associative Rings
, Lecture Notes in Math 818, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1980.
- Group Actions on Rings (editor), Proceedings of Joint
Summer Research Conference, AMS Contemporary Math, vol 43, AMS 1985.
- Non-Commutative Rings (co-editor with L. W. Small), MSRI
Publications, vol 24, Springer-Verlag, 1992.
- Advances in Hopf Algebras (co-editor with Jeffrey Bergen),
Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Math 158, Marcel Dekker, 1994.
- Hopf Algebras and Their Actions on Rings, CBMS Lecture
Notes vol 82, American Math Society, Providence, RI, 1993 (238
- New Directions in Hopf Algebras (co-editor with H.-J.
Schneider), MSRI Publications, vol. 43, Cambridge University Press,
Papers (since 2000)
- A Frobenius-Schur theorem for Hopf algebras (with V. Linchenko),
J. of Algebras and Representation Theory 3 (2000), 347-355.
- Bicharacters, twistings, and Scheunert's theorem for Hopf algebras
(with Yu. Bahturin and D. Fischman), J. of Algebra 236
- Skew-derivations of finite-dimensional algebras and actions of the
double of the Taft Hopf algebra (with H.-J. Schneider), Tsukuba
J. of Math 25 (2001), 337-358.
- Representation theory of finite-dimensional semisimple Hopf
algebras, Algebra - Representation Theory (Constanta, 2000),
K. W. Roggenkamp and M. Stefanescu, editors, NATO Sci. Ser. II
Math. Phys. Chem. 28, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 2001, 189-218.
- Polycharacters of cocommutative Hopf algebras (with Yu. Bahturin
and M. Kochetov), Canadian Math Bulletin 45 (2002), 11-24.
- Computing the Frobenius-Schur indicator for abelian extensions of
Hopf algebras (with Y. Kashina and G. Mason), J. of Algebra
251 (2002), 888-913.
- Generalized Lie solvability of associative algebras (with Yu.
Bahturin and M. Zaicev), Groups, Rings, Lie, and Hopf Algebras
, Yu. Bahturin, editor, Proceedings of the 2001 St. John's
conference, Kluwer, 2003, 1-23.
- Algebra properties invariant under twisting, Hopf algebras in
Non-commutative Geometry and Physics, S. Caenepeel and F. Van
Oystaeyen, editors, Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Math, vol
239, Marcel Dekker, 2005, 61-75.
- Krull relations in Hopf Galois extensions: lifting and twisting
(with H._J. Schneider), Journal of Algebra 288 (2005), 364-383.
- Stable Jacobson radicals and semiprime smash products (with V.
Linchenko and L. W. Small), Bulletin London Math Society 37
- Primitive ideals and Jacobson radicals in Hopf Galois extensions,
Proceedings of the XV Coloquio Latinoamericano de Algebra,
AMS Contemporary Math 376, 2005, 333-344.
- Hopf powers and orders for some bismash products (with R. Landers
and P. Schauenburg), Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra
205 (2006), 156-188.
- Semiprime smash products and H-stable prime radicals for PI-
algebras (with V. Linchenko), AMS Proceedings 135 (2007),
- Frobenius-Schur indicators for subgroups and the Drinfel'd double
of Weyl groups (with R. M. Guralnick), AMS Transactions
361 (2009), 3611-3632.
- Representations of some Hopf algebras associated to the symmetric
group S_n (with A. Jedwab), Algebras and Representation Theory
12 (2009), 1-17.
- Group gradings on simple Lie algebras in finite characteristic
(with Yu. Bahturin and M. Kochetov), AMS Proceedings 137
- Hopf Galois theory: a survey, in New Topological Contexts for
Galois Theory and Algebraic Geometry (A. Baker and B. Richter,
editors), Geometry and Topology Monographs 16 (2009), 367-400.
- On the trace of the antipode and higher indicators (with Yevgenia
Kashina and Siu-Hung Ng), Israel J. Math, 188 (2012),
- A q-identity related to a comodule (with Andrea jedwab),
Communications in Algebra, 39 (2011), 4669-4678.
- Modular representations and indicators for bismash products (with
Andrea Jedwab), Journal of Algebra 377 (2013), 281-297.