Here we outline certain important expectations regarding your academic
progress in the Ph.D. program.
- We expect you to complete all written screening exams by the
Spring of the second year.
- We expect you to register for at least 9 units of Mathematics
each semester of the first two years and at least 6 units during the
remaining 3 years.
- All students are required to take at least one real mathematics
graduate class every semester while at USC
- We expect you to attend all weekly colloquia (typically held
- If you are an applied mathematics student, you are expected to attend the weekly
Center for Applied Mathematical Sciences (CAMS) Colloquium, which is
usually held on Mondays;
if you are a mathematics student, then attend regularly at least one seminar after the
first year here (recommended: before that).
- We expect you to register for Math 500 during the Spring
semester of your first year.
Last update: August 17, 2011