1. Agricultural Household Models: Applications, Extensions and Policy, Co-edited with Inderjit Singh and Lyn Squire, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1986.
2. Indonesian Living Standards Before and After the Financial Crisis (with Kathleen Beegle, Agus Dwiyanto, Yulia Herawati, Daan Pattinasarany, Elan Satriawan, Bondan Sikoki, Sukamdi and Firman Witoelar), Santa Monica: RAND and Institute for Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS, Singapore), 2004.
1. "Does Better Nutrition Raise Farm Productivity?" Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 94, 1986, pp. 297-320.
2. "Child Survival, Height for Age and Household Characteristics in Brazil," (with Duncan Thomas and Mari-Helena Henriques). Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 33, 1990, pp. 197-234.
3. "How Does Mother's Education Affect Child Height?" (with Duncan Thomas and Mari-Helena Henriques), Journal of Human Resources, Vol. 26, 1991, pp. 183-211.
4. "Human Resources: Empirical Modeling of Household and Family Decisions" (with Duncan Thomas) in T.N. Srinivasan and J.R. Behrman (eds.), Handbook of Development Economics, Vol. 3A: North Holland Press, 1995.
5. "Health and Wages: Evidence for Men and Women in Urban Brazil" (with Duncan Thomas), Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 77, No. 1, 1997, pp. 159-186.
6. "Health, Nutrition and Economic Development" (with Duncan Thomas), Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 36, No. 2, 1998, pp. 766-817.
7. "Targeting of Food Aid in Rural Ethiopia: Chronic Need or Inertia" (with Thomas Jayne, Takashi Yamano and Daniel Molla), Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 68, No. 2, August 2002, pp. 247-288.
8. “Health Over the Life Course” (with Duncan Thomas), in T.P. Schultz and J. Strauss (eds.), Handbook of Development Economics, Volume 4, Amsterdam: North Holland Press, forthcoming.
Indonesia Family Life Survey
Principle Investigator for Indonesia Family Life Survey 3 (IFLS3), 2000
Principle Investigator for Indonesia Family Life Survey 4 (IFLS4), 2007