Amy R. Ward
Professor of Data Sciences and Operations
The Marshall School of Business
University of Southern California
Bridge Hall 401H
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0809
Ph.D., 2001, Stanford University, Department of Management Science and Engineering
M.S., 1997, Stanford University, Department of Management Science and Engineering
B.A., 1996, Claremont McKenna College, Mathematics
1. Erhun Ozkan and Amy R. Ward, On the Control of Fork-Join Networks, May 2015. [ pdf ]
2. Dongyuan Zhan and Amy R. Ward, Compensation and Staffing to Trade Off Speed and Quality in Large Service Systems, February 2015. [ pdf ]
3. Harsha Honnappa, Rahul Jain, and Amy R. Ward, On Transitory Queueing, January 2014. [ pdf ]
1. Ragavendran Gopalakrishnan, Sherwin Doroudi, Amy R. Ward, and Adam Wierman (2016). Routing and Staffing when Servers are Strategic. To appear in Operations Research. [ Main Body ] [ Electronic Companion ]
a. An earlier version of this paper was accepted to the 15th ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, June 8-12, 2014, at Stanford University.
2. Harsha Honnappa, Rahul Jain, and Amy R. Ward (2015). A Queueing Model with Independent Arrivals, and its Fluid and Diffusion Limits. Queueing Systems, 80 (1/2) 71-103. [ pdf ]
3. Levent Kocaga, Mor Armony, and Amy R. Ward (2015), Staffing Call Centers with Uncertain Arrival Rates and Co-sourcing, Production and Operations Management 24 (7), 1101-1117. [ pdf ]
4. Chihoon Lee and Amy R. Ward (2014), Optimal Pricing and Capacity Sizing for the GI/GI/1 Queue, Operations Research Letters 42, 527-531. [ pdf ]
5. Itai Gurvich and Amy R. Ward (2014), On the Dynamic Control of Matching Queues, Stochastic Systems, 4 (2), 479-523. [ pdf ]
7. Samim Ghamami and Amy R. Ward (2013), Dynamic Scheduling of a Two-Server Parallel Server System with Complete Resource Pooling and Reneging in Heavy Traffic: Asymptotic Optimality of a Two-Threshold Policy. Mathematics of Operations Research, 38 (4) 761-824. [ pdf ]
8. Mor Armony and Amy R.Ward (2013), Blind Fair Routing in Large-Scale Service Systems with Heterogeneous Customers and Servers, Operations Research 61(1), 228-243. [ pdf ]
9. Jeunghyun Kim and Amy R. Ward (2013), Dynamic Scheduling of a GI/GI/1+GI Queue with Multiple Customer Classes, Queueing Systems, 75 (2-4) 339-384. [ pdf ]
10.Josh Reed, Amy R. Ward, and Dongyuan Zhan (2013), On the Generalized Skorokhod Problem in One Dimension, Journal of Applied Probability 50(1), 16-28. [ pdf ]
11. Amy R. Ward (2011) Asymptotic Analysis of Queueing Systems with Reneging: A Survey of Results for FIFO, Single Class Models, Surveys in Operations Research and Management Science 16(1), 1-14.
· Associated tutorial talk given at INFORMS 2011 [ pdf ]
12.Yasar Levent Kocaga and Amy R. Ward (2010) Admission Control for a Multi-Server Queue with Abandonment, Queueing Systems, 65(3), 275-323. [ pdf ]
13.Mor Armony and Amy R. Ward (2010), Fair Dynamic Routing in Large-Scale Heterogeneous-Server Systems, Operations Research 58(3), 624-637. [ pdf ]
14.Vasiliki Kostami and Amy R. Ward (2009), Managing Service Systems with an Offline Waiting Option and Customer Abandonment, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 11(4), 644-656. [ pdf ]
15.Erica L. Plambeck and Amy R. Ward (2008), Optimal Control of a High Volume Assemble-to-Order System with Leadtime Quotation and Expediting, Queueing Systems 60(1/2), 1-69. [ pdf ]
16.Josh Reed and Amy R. Ward (2008), Approximating the GI/GI/1+GI Queue with a Nonlinear Drift Diffusion: Hazard Rate Scaling in Heavy Traffic, Mathematics of Operations Research 33(3), 606-644. [ pdf ]
17.Amy R. Ward and Sunil Kumar (2008), Asymptotically Optimal Admission Control of a Queue with Impatient Customers, Mathematics of Operations Research 33(1), 167-202. [ pdf ]
18.Erica L. Plambeck and Amy R. Ward (2007), Note: A Separation Principle for a Class of Assemble-to-Order Systems with Expediting, Operations Research 55(3), 603-609. [ pdf ]
19.Erica L. Plambeck and Amy R. Ward (2006), Optimal Control of a High Volume Assemble-to-Order System, Mathematics of Operations Research 31(3), 453-477. [ pdf ]
20. Amy R. Ward and Peter W. Glynn (2005), A Diffusion Approximation for a GI/GI/1 Queue with Balking of Reneging, Queueing Systems 50(4), 371-400. [ pdf ]
21.Amy R. Ward and Peter W. Glynn (2003), Properties of the Reflected Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Process, Queueing Systems 44(2), 109-123. [ pdf ]
22. Amy R. Ward and Peter W. Glynn (2003), A Diffusion Approximation for a Markovian Queue with Reneging, Queueing Systems 43(1/2), 103-128. [ pdf ]
23. Amy R. Ward and Nicholas Bambos (2003), On Stability of Queueing Networks with Job Deadlines, Journal of Applied Probability 40(2), 293-304. [ pdf ]
24. Yih-Choung Teh and Amy R. Ward (2002), Critical Thresholds for Dynamic Routing in Queueing Networks, Queueing Systems 42(3), 297-316. [ pdf ]
25. Amy R. Ward, Peter W. Glynn, and Kathy Richardson, Internet Service Performance Failure Detection, Performance Evaluation Review 26(3), 38-43.
1. Amy R. Ward and Ward Whitt (2002), Predicting Response Times in Processor-Sharing Queues, In D. MacDonald and S.R.E. Turner, editors, Analysis of Communication Networks: Call Centres, Traffic, and Performance, Fields Institute Communication Series, 28, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1-29.
1. Josh Reed and Amy R. Ward (2004), A Diffusion Approximation for a Generalized Jackson Network with Reneging, In Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Sept. 29-Oct. 1.
2. Amy R. Ward, Peter W. Glynn, and Kathy Richardson (1998), Internet Service Performance Failure Detection, In Proceedings of the 1998 Internet Server Performance Workshop, Madison, WI, 103-109.
3. Stephen G. Eick and Amy R. Ward (1996), An Interactive Visualization for Message Sequence Charts, In Proceedings for the Fourth Workshop on Program Comprehension, IEEE Computer Society Press, 2-8.